Monday, March 14, 2011

NANPA 2011 Highlights






















The NANPA summit for 2011 has come and gone. I joined John Nicol, engineer for Highspeedflash, at the UK company's kiosk. As so many serious amateurs and pros try to extract free hardware from companies in exchange for promises of "exposure", I was very pleased to have have solidified my association with HighSpeedFlash through a critical sale. A client who had witnessed the marvels of HighSpeedFlash's Pro Unit at one of my workshops showed up at the kiosk at purchased two Pro units. I feel that this tangible result of my promotional efforts lends some credibility to my status as a figure in the world of high speed wildlife photography.


Recognition from NGS editor


Karine Aigner, senior photo editor at National Geographic Kids, gave a presentation called "How to Get My Attention". It was a pragmatic look at what not to do when submitting photographic material to a world class publication. Karine looked at her own images, tearing them apart in search of faults, both technical and qualitative. She then presented series of three images addressing the same subject. Three images of elephants shown in order of increasing subjective quality illustrated the superiority of one image over another in terms of lighting, pose, perspective, lens choice and even shutter speed. Aigner wanted us to be able to evaluate our own images relative to what already exists on the market; showing an editor a solid 7.5/10 is meaningless if an abundance of 9/10s are already available at the major agencies.


So, with the non-sugar-coated nature of this presentation in mind, when the time came for Karine to show us a few images that she felt were beyond reproach, I was elated that the first image displayed was my osprey-catches-trout shot from the front cover of my book Decisive Moments. A subdued, collective gasp from the crowd was the icing on the cake, Although it is barely audible in the cellphone video below.










2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a treat to have your peers and competitors have that type of a reaction to your work right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete